For best results view blog in Firefox or Safari

All pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them

Monday 13 April 2009

Blocking

Something I've always been nervous about doing! If I stretch it too far, will it break? If it breaks, can I fix it?

You know the kind of questions I mean?

Remember Cinnamon Latte? I made it for my Mum to wear on the QE2. She didn't end up wearing it because I hadn't blocked it big enough and it didn't wrap around her comfortably.

Today I spied it and decided enough was enough - I was going to learn how to do this properly. Especially as I managed to block the Miss Lamberts Shetland Shawl and fix the border (which was unravelling as I was blocking it).

Alex kindly donated his bed to this experiment. I soaked the shawl in warm water, wrapped in a towel, walked on it, wrapped in a different towel and walked on it again. By this time it was almost dry, so I took it upstairs with a pot of clothes pins, stripped the pillows and duvet off the bed and slapped down the shawl.

I stuck one pin in and then pulled in the opposite direction and stuck another pin in, then I went halfway between those and pulled again & the same with the opposite. Then I just kept going back and forth.

Eventually I got this!

I think I did quite well, although I'm baffled as to how I'm going to block my next couple of shawls as they're humongous!

No comments:

Post a Comment