For best results view blog in Firefox or Safari

All pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them

Tuesday 6 April 2010

Camp FAIL!!!

A couple of months ago we decided to take a camping trip. We wanted to stay in the UK (in case there was a problem) but we also wanted to make sure the van could handle long distances (in preparation for our Norway holiday in the summer).

We decided to go to Scotland. Specifically Dumfries & Galloway. I thought going to Galloway National Park which is a 'dark park' and you can see thousands of stars there.

We looked about online and found a really nice looking park on the shores of Loch Ken. I phoned & booked it for a week then we booked four days in the Lake District afterwards.

We caught the 2.15am ferry this morning and I started the long drive to Scotland. I had to stop a couple of times to get some sleep, but we made quite good time.

As we entered the Lake District; it started to rain. It rained and rained and rained more.

We arrived at the park to find it half flooded!

I went in to Reception and the woman said we would have to park camper in one place and pitch tent in another. I started to explain that we had agreed on the phone that the tent was to be treated as an awning and that we would be pitching it next to the van. She interrupted me and on a rude tone of voice told me that wasn't her problem, then she stormed out to 'get the warden'.

He was lovely and explained that the site had actually changed hands a few weeks before and management kept changing rules.

After a bit of discussion we decided to stick the camper on a pitch and all sleep in it as it is too wet to pitch the tent.

The man even gave us free shower tokens and electric hookup and didn't charge us for the pitch either.

Unfortunately, half an hour after he left for the night; the hookup stopped working so we've got no heat, lights are running off the battery, we can't find the spaghetti, I've banged my head and quite frankly, I've had enough.

We've had dinner and now we're going home again!

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment