For best results view blog in Firefox or Safari

All pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them

Wednesday 7 October 2009

Demonstrating & Magic Loop

Several weeks ago I was contacted by a lady, Theresa, that occasionally attends our local Stitch N Bitch; she had, along with several staff members and sixth form students, started an after school knitting club and she wanted to know if I'd go along and have a chat with them all. She just wanted me to tell them how I got into knitting, show some of my work, maybe show some crochet and "please, please, please" demonstrate some spinning.

At first I was a bit wary of allowing strangers - especially kids - use my precious wheels, but as there is nothing on Eric at the moment, I decided to take Eric and Edward along. I demonstrated spinning on Edward and everyone oohed and aahed over my nice fine single and then I set Eric up and let them have a go.

The first woman who tried was hooked immediately! She watched me very carefully and picked it up almost straight away, asked loads of questions and was grinning like a Cheshire Cat when she left! Another woman then had a go, but she had trouble getting her feet to treadle while her hands drafted - in the end I did the treadling while she drafted and she loved it too. Then Theresa had a quick go, she had the same problem and I think she found it a little frustrating. After her was another woman (I can't remember names, I must've met about 15 people this afternoon!) who didn't put enough twist in, but she loved it too and asked if I would be willing to give lessons!

They all gushed over my knitwear that I had taken in too so all in all a very successful afternoon and I've been invited back whenever I want :0)

I started some more socks last week because I received Joy's latest sock club. Normally I would've been a bit blasé because it's green - but it's gorgeous! She's called it Walnut Tree and it ranges from walnut brown through dark green to light green. So I immediately cast on for Leaf Remains (Ravelry link) socks.

It's like they were made for each other; a perfect combination and I've even got some bright green that came from Natalie several months ago that will match it! Unfortunately, I didn't think of this until I was 40 rows into the pair (I'm knitting them two at a time - I bet you're impressed, eh?), so I'm going to have to undo the toes so that they will have a lovely solid green toe, heel & cuff!

I may have told you that I recently switched from DPNs to two circs for knitting socks - well this worked reasonably well, but after making the last pair; they were frankly getting on my nerves and I decided that I'd either have to suck it up, go back to DPNs (after all, I'd bought several sets) or learn Magic Loop!

I tried Magic Loop with the needles I was already using, but they were a bit short to knit TAAT (Two At A Time), so I ordered some 80cm needles.

They arrived today and I swapped the socks onto them.

It's so much faster! I've done loads this afternoon and I'm very close to turning the heel with my bright green Yarn Yard LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment